- Pale yellow or straw-yellow = Normal
- Dark yellow = sign of dehydration, need more water
- Fluorescent/Neon Yellow Urine = Excess riboflavin (vitamin b), eating more than we need
- Orange Urine = Eating lots of carrots, vitamin c
- Pink/Red Urine = Beets, blackberries, rhubarb or blood in the urine. Damaged muscle cells, injured kidney, injured urinary bladder/tract, lead or mercury poisoning.
- Pink = can also be phenolphthalein (after taking laxatives containing it)
- Green/Blue Urine = asparagus, some medications and some metabolic disorders including intestinal bacteria.
- Brown/Black Urine = Aloe/Fava/Broad beans, cascara/senna laxatives. Alkaptonuria (inherited condition), some liver diseases (hepatitis, cirrhosis)
- Red-Purple, Red-Brown Urine = when someone lacks a specific enzyme(s) involved in production of heme, the red, iron-containing part of hemoglobin molecule, genetic disorder
- Cloudy Urine = presence of phosphate crytals after consuming high-phosphate foods, such as milk. ; urinary tract infection. ; disorder called proteinuria ;
- Colourless Urine (looks like pure water) = person is well hydrated or over-hydrated, ie drinking too much water.; symptom of diabetes inspipidus